I want to share with you a coaching session with the founder and head of the European Coaching University Vlad Shakh, which took place on 11.11.2021.
I participated in mentoring for the first time and acted as a coach for an already certified coach with 40 hours of practice experience with his coaching colleagues. Vlad acted as a mentor for our session at the same time, i.e. at the same time he gave an assessment and correction of my conduct of this session.
The technique used in this coaching session was GROW.
Vlad's request: "I want to become a sought-after coach! I lack the understanding of how to do this.
During our meeting, I defined for myself a number of the most important points that I should use for my further work with my clients, which I describe below:
1. During this session Vladislav gave me an important understanding that the number of hours of practice with clients, mentoring, etc., i.e. such measurable indicators as numbers, percentages, statistics are a weighty factor of mini-presentation of oneself as an expert, both at the beginning of a coaching session and in further setting of client action plans (for example: desired number of paid clients, cost per coaching session, etc.)
2. It is not always most important for the coachee to follow the sequence of questions asked to the client, if the answers are already obvious from the client's previous answers.
It is very important to take the client into the future during the session, so that he or she is motivated to act from there.
4. It is always important to check the client's goal for achievability by SMART to make sure once again that the client is on the right track.
5. It is important to operate on the client's own phrases from the set-up contract.
6. It was important for me to understand that you always need to be specific about the timing of the client's steps, i.e. writing posts, storis, reels, showing video testimonials, etc.
7. For myself, I was able to take note for the future of not asking alternate questions, ideally open-ended questions.
8. My merit in the session can be considered the fact that I helped my client to think about the presence of a person from his environment at the time of education (supervisor on a coaching course), who would help him faster to reach his goal to become a sought-after coach, who could give a good advice or hint.
9. No need to give my personal assessment of the client's action plan at the stage of summarizing the session.
10. During our session, I got an insight: an important aspect for attracting paying clients is the regular recording of coaching sessions with clients and presenting them on Youtube.
11. a very valuable thing for me in the final session were Vlad's words as a mentor about his sincere desire to improve my coaching sessions in the future by adjusting my questions and, as a result, to make the sessions more professional.
I sincerely thank Vlad for the opportunity to be a coach for him, as a client, and to him, as a mentor, for the valuable knowledge and skills acquired at this session, and especially for the important instructions regarding my work as a coach.